Custom Search
Holi Rae: Nose Dive

Thursday, April 9, 2009

Nose Dive

Eh, Eh, Eh. Sounds of the emergency alarm. Over 100 thousand feet amist the air. "Fasten your seat belts. Prepare for emergency landing," the little stewardess shouted through the overhead.

Panic everywhere. One child already tumbling forward like a bowling ball down the aisle. Cans, magazines, purses, cell phones moving through the air cabinet. Shouting. Crying. Cussing. What was happening? Was the plane going down. "My baby," one lady shouted. "We're all going to die," the man next to me blurted out.

The plane jolted every which way. Numbed from waist down. Ears popping from constant pressure. Emergency ligths flashing. Cell phones pleading for service, but towers showed no mercy. My head pounded against the plane ceiling. Passenger's coins escaping pockets, colliding with the ceiling surface. Total chaos. Now shifting sideways, like a rollercoster. The pilot must have readjusted his position. The plane straightened up and I was upright in my seat at normal position. Speaking too soon, I now hung in the air foward. Had it not been for my safety belt, I'd be in the cock pit.

Warm urine raced down my dress pants. I was scared. In the window seat, my eyes danced toward the outside. Nothing there, just clouds. Air. Shocked. I could not say anything. Choked by mere air. My words were stuck. Hands sweaty and tears crawled down my face like a stream flows toward a nearby river. I was going to die? Clasping my wet hands together for one last prayer to my Father. "Hallow be thy name. Thy kingdom come. Thy will be done . . ." Perplexity and fear obstruct my memory. I want to say so much more, but I'd only remembered that routine prayer.Fear of death gripped my words. I was terrified.

Loudly, I began to weep. Others did the same, echoed in unison. Now clutching my rosary, like never before. I'd almost broke the chain, sure that there was a chain imprint around my neck.

I saw the sea below. We were fast approaching. Plumeting toward an irrational death. Taking a nose dive straight into the Atlantic Sea. "Plane down, plane down".

God couldn't have heard my prayer, even when I thought I was close in proximity. We were still diving into the deep big blue. What was far away was now so close. One mile away. Half mile away. Meters away. The water. The Air. The Salt.

Death on Impact.

No comments: